5 Invigorating Ways to Spend Your Mental Health Day
We’ve all been there. No matter how much we love our jobs and daily activities, sometimes a break from the usual hustle and bustle is just what the doctor ordered. Taking a mental health day can be a great way to hit the reset button and tune into recent stressors and emotional needs. The state of our mental health, while often ignored, can have lasting effects on overall health and wellness.
According to the American Psychological Association, 42 percent of adults say they are not doing enough or are not sure whether they are doing enough to manage their stress. What’s more, one in five Americans say they never engage in an activity to help relieve or manage their stress. 1
While it can be tempting to shut the blinds and lie in bed all day, there are plenty of beneficial ways to spend your day off. And no, we don’t mean running errands or catching up on emails. This day is meant to banish stress and boost your happiness. Here are five ways to spend your mental health day that will leave you feeling reinvigorated:
- Get outside: How much time do you spend indoors throughout the normal work day? Swap a day inside for an afternoon soaking up the sun and fresh air. Pack a picnic, grab a good magazine or book and consider spending the day in the park. Make sure to leave the phone at home so you’re less likely to check in on work or spend your day scrolling through Instagram.
- Try something new: Have you been dying to try a new recipe or finally take up meditation? Use your day off to try something new. We are great at coming up with excuses for not giving something a try, but with the open day ahead of you, there’s nothing to hold you back.
- Pamper yourself: Schedule a massage or try a new activity like acupuncture. Treating yourself to a relaxing day of spa services could be just what you need to help relax your mind. Even better, make a day of it by scheduling your appointments with a local hotel and you can get access to their pool and fitness center.
- Clean start: While cleaning might not be the ideal way to spend your day off, the feeling of a perfectly organized and clean house is unparalleled. Spend a small portion of the day tackling a room you never have time for and feel the sense of accomplishment wash over you. The rest of the day can then be spent celebrating your hard work.
- Indulge: This one we are leaving up to you as it is different for everyone. Indulge in something you normally abstain from whether it’s a mid-afternoon nap or a sweet treat. Either way, do something that will be sure to leave you happy and fulfilled after your day off.
The feeling of being stressed or overwhelmed can cause the development of poor habits and often distracts us from improving our health or paying attention to how we are feeling. We encourage you to break the cycle and take care of both your mind and body for a more comprehensive wellness approach. You can make your mental health day the most beneficial yet.